Friday, June 12, 2015





Distiller: Hikari Loftus
4.5/5 Stars



The Fill-In Boyfriend
by Kasie West
Harper Teen (May 5, 2015)
352 pages


Click here to read our interview with Kasie West


Gia is a high school senior who gets dumped by her college boyfriend IN THE PARKING LOT BEFORE PROM!! 

Her friends have been reluctant to believe he exists because they have never met him or seen a picture. 

Determined not to be called a liar, Gia spots a boy hanging out in his truck nearby and begs him to pretend to be her ex just for a few hours. But Jules, a newcomer to Gia's group of friends is determined to oust Gia from the group and will stop at nothing to make Gia look bad. So when Gia stars falling for her fake boyfriend she gets in over her head with the lies to her friends. Especially with Jules doing my everything she can to trip Gia up.

What follows is a real page-turning read that was sweet, fun, and thought provoking! I read this in one sitting because it was so good and so easy to read. 

Kasie West includes an underlying social commentary on the effects of social media which certainly got me thinking about the effects social media has on our self-esteem and personal relationships. The writing was so authentic that the story brought me straight back to my high school experiences. I loved all the memories and feelings it brought back as I was reading. 

Super cute with an ending that was not what I expected. Kasie surprised me with how things turned out and I appreciated that. Well written, great dialogue, and a great set of characters.
.
Definitely an excellent read and something you should add to your summer reading list!

0 comments:

Post a Comment